Saturday, January 5, 2013

NO MORE A SLAVE



          Text: John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
          32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
          33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
          34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
          35And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
          36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
What is sin?
         
          James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Why do I need to be freed from sin?
          Verse 34; Servants cannot free themselves. They have to be set free.
Sin separates man from God. God hates sin because sin causes problems. Sin hurts all of us.
          It breaks the heart of God to see us hurt.
Can I just quit sinning?
          The answer to this question is NO. You can't quit on your own any more than a slave can set himself free.
          Many people try to live a righteous life by their own efforts. If this was possible we would still be under the Mosaic Law.
The law doesn't produce righteousness
          Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
          Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
         
         
The law does not bring death. The law identifies sin and sin brings death.
          Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
          16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
          17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
          18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
          19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
          20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
          21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
          22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man. (I want to do good).
          23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
          24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
          25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
          Up to this point, Paul is talking about trying to find righteousness through his own efforts, i. e. the keeping of rules and ordinances (the law).
          2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
          Genesis 3:7-21 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.
9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
We can only find righteousness through Jesus.
          John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
          Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
          2 Corin.10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh.
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds).
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
 Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
          2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
          3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
          4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
         
         
ANNOUNCEMENTS
February 2, 10:00 Work day and 1:00 family fun day.
                                               
January 6, Open house, view village at Nancy's house. Today
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              January 11, Men's night out.  Friday                         
 Wednesday, Bible discussion, Ezekiel Chapt. 24.
February 27,Annual Business meeting.
Lunch after Service.
Remember the brown box, building fund, bicycle, and sewing machine.
 Cans and food donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment